The chain tensioner I built was absolute garbage so I took that off completely and moved the motor forward to give me the most tension I possibly could. It was just barely enough to keep the belt on track and run. I rode for about a mile and then the batteries died on me. I had two 11.1 v (3s) Li-PO batteries wired in series with 2450 mah. I brought the batteries in to charge and on my lcd screen it said: Battery Check…
I had discharged the Li-PO batteries too much and basically ruined them. I then decided to switch to Ni-MH batteries instead because of reliability and cost. Discharging your batteries too low can be avoided by using a low voltage cut-off module wired in with your batteries but I just decided to completely switch over. Li-PO batteries don’t have to be discharged all the way before they are charged again and they give you higher discharge rates which in turn gives you faster acceleration but they require a lot of maintenance (monitoring voltage levels of the cells and storage charging) that I am not willing to give. Ni-MH batteries are just more durable so in my opinion that is the way to go.
This pack puts out 21.6 volts average at 3.4 amps. After receiving my new battery pack and cycling it (discharge then charge) on my charger I threw the components in my enclosure from my Version 1 electric skateboard I did a while ago.
That worked for the time being. I went about 18-19 mph top speed ( I want to go FASTER!!!) and it was extremely fun. I’ll upload a video of me and my friend riding the board around. When we came back after riding the motor was loose and the motor was bent back towards the trucks. That is when I decided it would be best to try to weld a piece of metal from the front of the motor mount to the trucks to try to keep it from bending.
This worked great for the next couple of rides but the motor kept coming loose and shaking the mount around making the belt slip the brace that I put on eventually broke where I welded it. I can just re-weld it back on but that doesn’t solve the issue of the motor coming loose. My street isnt freshly paved so its pretty bumpy with rocks and everything. The bolts with the split lock washers under them were vibrating loose because the zinc plated teeth on the washer couldn’t bite into the carbon steel. After doing some research I came across Nord-Lock vibration proof washers and after watching some vibration testing videos I was convinced that these were the washers I needed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgwmuZuJ02I (Demo Video of Washers).
I ordered a few of these and they should be coming in today or tomorrow but I figured why should I just sit on butt and wait for them to come in if I am not even finished with the other aspects of the board yet. I started designing an enclosure to go on the bottom of the board so I wouldn’t have a bucket of wires sitting next to my feet. I built it out of cardboard then paper mache to stiffen it up a bit. I painted it all black and taped it to the board.
The reason I duct taped it to the board instead of using screws is because I really don’t like this enclosure it is kind of ugly. So I am going to make another one that looks decent enough to show off to people. Here are some extra pictures of the board with the enclosure.